PDA

View Full Version : Tool Mod Manager

dbzfanatic
13.09.2017, 23:50
Hello everyone, I just wanted to go ahead and post this tool. It's a mod manager I made for Breath of the Wild but the install portion will work with any game, it just won't backup the orginal or restore vanilla file for any game other than BOTW right now.
I should be able to change that if there's enough demand.

Ok without further ado here we go!

Instructions:

MAKE SURE TO HAVE AT LEAST 2.5GB AVAILABLE FOR THE INITIAL BACKUP AND TO BE ON A VANILLA INSTALL

1) Extract mods from the zip files to a central folder. Example: Desktop\BOTW Mods (Make sure each mod has name\mlc01\usr and not name\mlc01\mlc01, it won't install properly if it does)

2) Open the program

3) When prompted, select the folders where CEMU and the Mods are located, it will then begin a backup of the curretnly installed BOTW files.

4) The program will generate a list of available mods and display it

5a) To install a mod simply check the box in the program. To revert a mod, uncheck it.
5b) If a MOD has files that conflict with another MOD the program will warn you and not allow you to install it, asking you to disable the conflicting mod before trying to install the new one
5c) When a MOD is disabled the files are replaced with the backed up copy

99*)If you click the full reset button it will disable all mods and restore the entire backup folder, which will take considerably more time than installing a mod

If you have any suggestions or feedback please let me know. I'm planning a way to automatically detect and backup games based on their gameID (BotW USA would be 101c9400 for example) but it hasn't been implemented yet.

Update 1:
New features added. Colors match the BotW scheme and it is now possible to sort the list. There are a few minor oddities with sorting (text based instead of numerical) but nothing that will break anything. Enjoy the update, hope to get more done soon!

DL: http://ul.to/wyos53jc

Serfrost
14.09.2017, 00:14
Nice. Definitely needed something like this. Glad to see it's in the works now.

dbzfanatic
14.09.2017, 05:53
Thought you guys might like a sneak-peek at what my next short-term goal is.

That's right, MOD ICONS!

If the authors of the mods decide to create (or members of the community do and agree on) an ico.bmp file @ 32x32 and place it in the main folder of the mod it will automatically be seen by the manager and displayed by the mod name.
The icon you see is a quick placeholder I made in paint to show it working, the colors are generated on a per-run basis and change each time when no icon is provided.

I will probably change this to a default icon later but again, placeholders.

Edit: I'm also trying to pretty it up, changed the colors to be more BotW. Might add the option to change to custom colors if there's any demand.
I'm adding a poll to see how much demand there really is for the color scheme but for the time being, here's another preview.

Knots
14.09.2017, 07:37
Looks great, man. I think there exist quite a few Sm4sh and MK8 mods, too. Might be prudent to add "dedicated" support for those games as well, no?

Serfrost
14.09.2017, 07:53
Edit: I'm also trying to pretty it up, changed the colors to be more BotW. Might add the option to change to custom colors if there's any demand.
I'm adding a poll to see how much demand there really is for the color scheme but for the time being, here's another preview.

I just want to remind you that you can take screenshots of the current focused window by pressing Alt + PrntScreen. ;)

Secondly, I'd like to see a dark theme like we have on this forum. :P

dbzfanatic
14.09.2017, 13:21
@Knots Installs for other mods should work now, uninstalling is the only issue right now. I may make a "game chooser" screen like FMM though.

@Serfrost Yup thats how im getting the window previews for you guys . As for a dark theme it shouldnt be hard but would more fall under custom colors. Vote yes in the poll and it'll be more likely lol. If theres enough demand Ill add some pre-made custom color options with the feature's official release

dbzfanatic
16.09.2017, 20:06
So I'm working on auto game-detection and I can do it one of two ways but I need community opinions to determine the best way. One is easier than the other but again, I want to know what you guys think so my question is this:

Would you guys be ok needing an internet connection to auto-detect games or only on first run and to update as needed?

Serfrost
17.09.2017, 04:04
So I'm working on auto game-detection and I can do it one of two ways but I need community opinions to determine the best way. One is easier than the other but again, I want to know what you guys think so my question is this:

Would you guys be ok needing an internet connection to auto-detect games or only on first run and to update as needed?

Only on first run and as-needed, because some people play offline when away from internet sources.

Make sure to detect WUD, WUX, and RPX.

dbzfanatic
17.09.2017, 05:40
Its just going to read the game id of the mods since it's a mod manager not a game launcher so wud/rpx/wux detection isnt necessary for what it needs to do.

tom_gamebanana
21.09.2017, 19:39
Hey, great work on the manager :) Would you be interested in adding browser integration, so people can launch your manager directly from the browser to install mods? At GameBanana (https://gamebanana.com/) we support integration of mod managers using custom schemas - e.g cemumm://[download_url] - when clicked, your mod manager would launch, download the mod, decompress it and then show the files and/or automatically install them. We can pass custom parameters to the cemumm:// link. such as mod name, thumbnails, authors, etc.

dbzfanatic
23.09.2017, 18:51
I don't think I'll be adding browser integration anytime soon. Maybe in a separate version designed for always-online but I want to get the basics working first.

tom_gamebanana
23.09.2017, 19:17
Another useful thing about launching the mod manager from web links is that the cemu:// URL could also pass other parameters to the mod manager, such as mod name, author, thumbnail URLs etc. The mod manager can then use this meta data to create a nicer profile of the mod being installed. This might be a better alternative to relying on an ico.bmp in the main folder.

For example, if GameBanana's skin ID was sent as a parameter in the cemu:// link, you could then query our API to get all kinds of data on the mod.

https://api.gamebanana.com/Core/Item/Data?itemtype=Skin&itemid=157440&fields=name

This is the skin in the API call above: https://gamebanana.com/skins/157440

dbzfanatic
23.09.2017, 20:02
Yes you mentioned that before but as I said I don't have much of an inclination to do that right now since it would require always-online functionality, a ground-up rewrite of the code (possibly in a different language), and more community backing/requests for that feature. It's not something I'm ready to dismiss completely but it is something I don't want to implement right now. The tool is still in the early stages of development, has almost no exposure, and an investment of time like that isn't feasible for features people may not even want.

tom_gamebanana
23.09.2017, 20:08
Why does it require always-online functionality? Your mod manager would get a HUGE amount of exposure if it was a link on all our BotW mod pages (just like with our other mod managers, they get loads of attention as an alternate download option).

If you change your mind please email me (tom@gamebanana.com) so we can discuss further - I can connect you to other devs who've implemented this in their own managers :) Good luck with it

Serfrost
23.09.2017, 21:58
Following what Tom said, this wouldn't require your manager to always be online. It would allow the launcher to launch via web browser click and then the manager itself would connect for that instance to download the mod. However, afterwards, it would still be offline unless something else was selected in the browser to be downloaded and installed / activated with the manager.

As things are right now, you want people to download the mods, then place them in a directory for the mod manager to access and distribute. But what about the mod manager directly downloading the mod, placing the mod itself in it's suggested folder, and then being able to activate it from there? -- Just with a single click from the browser to start that process.

This isn't the mod manager browsing the internet for the mods. It's people browsing the internet on their browser and then clicking a link to have your mod manager start up and import the mod automatically. lol

Whereas it isn't completely mandatory, it would be a nice boon for your manager. As chances are, if someone makes one that can do what was mentioned, it'll be used more often.

dbzfanatic
26.09.2017, 16:26
I'll look into it but i can't promise anything or give any timeframes since I have a full-time IT job and this would be in my spare time only.

tom_gamebanana
26.09.2017, 16:27
Awesome, thanks for reconsidering. Let me know how I can help. I can give you demo links to test with on gamebanana.com - e.g cemu://[url_to_download]

Serfrost
27.09.2017, 10:24
I'll look into it but i can't promise anything or give any timeframes since I have a full-time IT job and this would be in my spare time only.

Sounds good. :) Wish you luck with work.

dbzfanatic
29.09.2017, 16:13
Ok so work has been absolutely crazy...I'm thinking of dropping an "incrimental update" that only adds the color scheme and a sorting feature for the mods (sorting by size is off b/c it's string sorting instead of numerical, i'll get it fixed when I get some time). Would anyone be interested in that so you can see what mod has more files or find it by name easier etc? I don't want to just vanish in terms of progress.

Serfrost
29.09.2017, 20:47
I'd like a sort by name function or something. Maybe have a rename function from the same window?

If not either of those, being able to sort them the way you want just my dragging them into place would be nice.

dbzfanatic
30.09.2017, 19:19
New version uploaded, no custom colors or rename from manager yet but this is what I got knocked out today. Also updating link in OP

http://ul.to/wyos53jc

dbzfanatic
08.10.2017, 14:55
There's been a delay in the project. A good friend is going through a messy divorce (messy being a mild way of putting it) and I'm trying to help him through that; keep him distracted, make him think of the kids, etc. It's a bad situation for all parties and there are times when it seems like my family and his parents are the only ones on his side so that's taken up most of my time lately. Sorry about not getting any work done but I hope you guys understand. It's not cancelled just delayed and when things settle a bit so I've got some time between that and work I'll get back on it.

dbzfanatic
17.10.2017, 22:49
Project is back up, just waiting for confirmation that the links are implemented in gamebanana then I can begin testing.