PDA

View Full Version : List of Wii U Game Framerates

PickleRick!
17.09.2017, 09:20
Here is a list of Wii U framerates that I'll be putting together.
Just to get a headstart, I'll be building from an existing list created by reddit user: Yhdiste.
Information posted in the replies will be added if anybody wishes to help.

Static 30 FPS
Angry Birds Trilogy
Asdivine Hearts
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Batman: Arkham Origins
Ben 10: Omniverse
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013
The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dual Core
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water
Funk of Titans
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Note: Dynamic 60fps mod is available)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Lego City Undercover
Lego Jurassic World
Mass Effect 3
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!
One Piece: Unlimited World Red
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
Pikmin 3
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
Resident Evil: Revelations
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Trine 2
Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
Watch Dogs
Xenoblade Chronicles X
ZombiU

Static 60 FPS
007 Legends
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know!
Affordable Space Adventures
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue
Barbie Dreamhouse Party
Bayonetta
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Bombing Bastards
BRICK RACE
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
CastleStorm
Chariot
Chasing Dead
Child of Light
Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
DuckTales: Remastered
Family Tennis SP
FAST Racing NEO
FIFA 13
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
Freedom Planet
FreezeME
Game & Wario
Ghost Blade HD
Infinity Runner
Kamen Rider: Battride War II
Kick & Fennick
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mighty Switch Force! 2
Monster High: 13 Wishes
Monster High: New Ghoul in School
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
NES Remix
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Paparazzi
Paper Monsters Recut
Penguins of Madagascar
Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
Pokken Tournament
Preston Sterling
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Quest of Dungeons
Rayman Legends
Rock Zombie
Severed
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shovel Knight
The Smurfs 2
Sonic Lost World
Splatoon (Note: Runs 30fps in lobby.)
SPHERE SLICE
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Star Wars Pinball
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Super Meat Boy
Swords & Soldiers
Tachyon Project
Taiko no Tatsujin: Tokumori
Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tengami
Toki Tori 2+
Typoman
Volgarr the Viking
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Wipeout 3
Wipeout: Create & Crash
The Wonderful 101
Year Walk
Yoshi's Woolly World

Dynamic FPS
Bayonetta 2
Darksiders II (Note: Gameplay is capped to 30fps, Cutscenes run at 60fps)
Hyrule Warriors (Note 1: Gameplay is capped to 30fps, Menu and some cutscenes run at 60fps)(Note 2: 60fps mod is available via graphic packs. Thanks to _emoose_)
Legend of Kay Anniversary
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Why am I doing this? To be informative. Also, with fingers crossed, it might encourage a dev to make another 60fps mod similar to Xalphenos's.

epigramx
17.09.2017, 10:12
Also list games that support dynamic FPS (and remove them from the list of "60FPS" if you put them there and list the rest as "static 30FPS" and "static 60FPS"). That way people know what games need no modding at all for FPS (usually), because some people also want 30 FPS mods for locked-60FPS games for slow hardware (boring, I know). Also when Cemu implements the profile option to be able to set a global vsync different to 60 frames per second those games will be automatically future proof for higher than 60FPS, if something doesn't break.

PS. Darksiders II might support dynamic FPS according to Exzap but you can confirm it. Also I'd look into Bayonetta 2 in case it has that feature. One can easily test for dynamic FPS if Cemu's FPS is capped to a lower FPS value externally and test if the gameplay speed does not alter.

PickleRick!
18.09.2017, 00:10
Added dynamic fps and changed the other two to static.

Thanks for the advice.
Currently, I'm pulling information from different sources that tested game frame rates (too many to credit). I'll personally test for dynamic fps whenever I get more free time.

epigramx
18.09.2017, 04:51
BotW is supposed to be both 30FPS and 20FPS depended on if the system can handle it at the time (arbitrarily, not hardcoded per zone). It used to work like that on Cemu as well around 1.7.5 at least (either a Cemu or a BotW update altered the behavior on Cemu) One could claim it's a "hybrid system".

Of course it could be put in a "modded to dynamic FPS" list. It still has bugs, but Xalphenos still works on it.

PickleRick!
18.09.2017, 06:27
Tested Darksiders II
The frame rate is dynamic. However, the gameplay is capped at 30fps while cutscenes run at 60fps.

To keep things simple, I'll move darksiders 2 to the "dynamic fps" section with a note. As for BotW, I'll keep as is for now (unless Nintendo releases their own 60fps update). The list will continue to change and adapt, so I'll stay open-minded to new ideas.

epigramx
18.09.2017, 07:20
This is not terribly useful but one can already determine if a 60FPS mod would be viable for current hardware or if they will need to look into a dynamic mod which is more complex to code and fix bugs introduced by. This is usually done by setting vsync to 60fps (or current Cemu max) by altering swap interval or other methods might be needed (e.g. for BotW also fence skipping did it) and then determine if that 60FPS is maintained even if gameplay speed is double (it has approximately the same requirements with a fully modded game that returns gameplay speed/timestep to normal). I've written an example of how to do this for WWHD here: https://forum.cemu.info/showthread.php/9-HOWTO-modify-a-game-using-Cemuhook-patches-txt-for-example-turning-WWHD-into-60FPS

For example, WWHD is not a terribly good game to mod for static-60FPS for current systems since even on the first zone it can drop to 30FPS because it's inefficient with particle effects and ...grass rendering according to Exzap. TPHD might be a good candidate because a few zones I tried retained 60FPS. The ones that don't retain 60FPS would be better off with dynamic FPS mods unless one waits for much better hardware or Cemu optimizations.

PickleRick!
01.10.2017, 08:51
I finally had time to test Bayonetta 2.
It is dynamic.

Added some more games to the list as well.

epigramx
01.10.2017, 09:40
I finally had time to test Bayonetta 2.
It is dynamic.

Added some more games to the list as well.
Thanks. It's more important to find the dynamic ones now since 1.10 added an option to use any frequency for the global interval of cemu (other than 60).

Crementif
01.10.2017, 09:51
Add a note to Mario Kart 8 which mentions that the game will run at 30fps (render half of the screen 1 frame, then the next frame it renders the other half of the screen which can be seen on a digitalfoundry video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYl272fPLY))

epigramx
01.10.2017, 10:13
A 144Hz graphic pack for Bayonetta 2 to try: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/292733452590120961/363970730465034241/Bayonetta2_144Hz.zip
A 240Hz pack for BotW (bundled with the FPS++ mod): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/292707796175290369/362049522274271233/BotW_FPS_Mod_240Hz.zip
(I haven't found a Darksiders 2 pack yet to grab the necessary code, but it should be relatively easy to make one if you have the game, just also copy the necessary line + category from rules.txt of the above, on 1.10 or better that affects frequency)

Add a note to Mario Kart 8 which mentions that the game will run at 30fps (render half of the screen 1 frame, then the next frame it renders the other half of the screen which can be seen on a digitalfoundry video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYl272fPLY))
That game technically runs at 60FPS at all types. It renders the top or bottom half of the screen for a frame and the other half for the next frame. Rajkosto figures it happens because that way the physics/game code remains untouched (and I guess they avoid more complex methods like spawning a dedicated physics/game thread).

In that case an 60FPS mod would be to figure out where it prevents a half to be rendered and remove the prevention.

PickleRick!
02.10.2017, 06:33
Thanks epigramx. I'll give the bayonetta pack a try whenever cemu 1.10 is public.

I took a look at the digital foundry article. Their explanation is practically what epigramx said.

It's with the three- and four-player modes that things become even more fascinating. At first glance the four-player split-screen mode appears to operate at 30fps, but if you look closer you'll notice something interesting: the HUD updates at 60Hz. Digging deeper we were able to determine that the complete image is still updated 60 times per second with the top and bottom sections refreshing on alternative frames.

"In split-screen, a new image is still sent to the screen at 60fps, but the updates between top and bottom screens alternate each frame."

Further examination of the game operating in two and four player split-screen mode along with footage captured from a time trial. Notice the performance benefits of running without CPU opponents enabled.
This effectively means that each portion of the screen corresponds to either odd or even frames, producing an effective 30fps as a result. As you can see in our performance analysis video, the frame-time remains at 16ms during four-player split-screen while the frame-rate graph - which we've clipped to analyse one player's view - updates at 30fps. We attempted a split-screen analysis comparison - effectively treating the top and bottom of the image as different video streams - but as we suspected, the results were identical with the expected single frame off-set. Of course, the small disturbances visible in the graph demonstrate the continued frame-rate issue we've noted in the game's other modes. More positively, an effective halving of gameplay frame-rate doesn't unduly impact playability - we can safely assume that the game's core mechanics are processing identically to the 60Hz single-player game, so while there will be an increase in input lag, this doesn't quite feel like the muggy 30fps racing games you may be accustomed to.

I'll leave mario kart 8 as is for now due to this affecting only three-player or four-player modes. Which seems unlikely to be in demand on cemu.

PickleRick!
02.10.2017, 18:57
Update:
Tested Bayonetta, Legend of Kay Anniversary, Mario Kart 8.
Legend of Kay Anniversary is dynamic while the other two are static.

Side note: It's probably already well known; but graphical glitches would appear when I limited Bayonetta's frame rate. This got me to thinking that low frame rate may be the cause of glitches in other games (obviously not causing every glitch but for some).

Slash
19.10.2017, 06:21
From what I remember, Smash 4 can go down to 30fps without slowing down. Color Splash is 30fps on real hardware, but runs at 60fps with no speed up on Cemu.
Splatoon runs 30fps in the lobby, but is 60fps everywhere else. However, multiplayer rendering is 30fps while HUD is 60fps, which could hint at a similar system to MK8's 3-4 player multiplayer. Sonic Lost World is 30fps only in multiplayer, 60fps everywhere else.

PickleRick!
21.10.2017, 09:04
Thanks
It looks like Paper Mario: Color Splash is dynamic.

Will test the others eventually.

Update: Splatoon is not dynamic. Will add note about the lobby.
Update 2: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U appears to be dynamic.
Update 3: No results for Sonic Lost World. Menu ran 60fps while gameplay was a miserable 1fps.

Slash
28.10.2017, 21:24
Cemu currently has a bug with Sonic Lost World where gameplay slows down to a crawl.

PickleRick!
15.12.2017, 05:13
Update:
Have been adding periodically to the list using information obtained from youtube videos. Thanks to Darkemaste, chriztr, and Emulator_Team for uploading their videos.

Tested Hyrule Warriors.
Appears to be dynamic (from what I can tell). Menu and some videos run 60fps. Gameplay and other videos are capped at 30fps.
Would be great if someone made a mod to uncap the frame rate.