Close

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    How to run WiimoteHook on Linux
    Latest release includes updates that make it possible.

WiimoteHook is practically a .NET application with a full-blown combination of Windows-only native methods that isn't very suitable for porting directly; it could be faster to re-write another program from scratch instead of porting it natively so it's not a very exciting prospect to go the route of pure porting.

However, it can run well with Wine after some work we did on Wine to make it properly see raw Bluetooth HIDs on Linux(that update is originally inspired for the use of this software). At the same time I converted part of the code to be friendlier to it and it is now built to x86 binaries because Wine prefers them. That process also helped Windows because certain bugs were fixed.

Pic: WiimoteHook running with Wine, fully driving a MotionPlus Remote with a Nunchuk connected to it

Without further ado, if you want to run it on Linux I suggest to follow these steps to avoid headaches:

This guide assumes a basic understanding of the instructions of the 1st post. This guide assumes a debian sid distribution but that's not important, the distro is only an example.

1. Install current Wine-devel branch or newer. e.g. for debian: https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian

(current -devel or newer is required because it includes the required Bluetooth HID patch)

Caveat: I recommend starting with a new ~/.wine due to potential issues with old settings.

Caveat #2: It's likely that a "32bit prefix" for wine will help(e.g. with a WINEARCH=win32 in front of wine/winetricks commands after a clean ~/.wine) because of incomplete wine functionality (WiimoteHook is compiled to x86 because of that wine limitation) but I don't promise that method will work in the future or that is required in all systems.

2. Get winetricks from a distro (e.g. apt-get install winetricks) or google it and install .NET 4.5.2 or newer (Mono is buggy/incomplete for this) e.g. with "winetricks -q dotnet462".

3. Since hid_wiimote conflicts (especially for MotionPlus and extensions) with the /dev/hidraw# we need even when it's unloaded or blacklisted (because by default no /dev/hidraw# is created at all without it if it was compiled),

Either:

compile out of the kernel the hid_wiimote module (blacklisting doesn't work for our purpose) (that config option is in drivers->hid->nintendo wii remote)

Or:

pass the kernel option hid.ignore_special_drivers=1 at boot (which ignores special drivers entirely in terms of hid and allows raw hid only):

e.g. for grub:

edit /etc/default/grub and include in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="... line:

hid.ignore_special_drivers=1

then update grub with:

update-grub

and reboot

4. Pair the device with Linux. e.g. In Gnome it's very straightforward, I just click the icon and the relevant option on the top-right and it immediately pairs if I press a remote's red button or 1+2 (the .exe's internal method doesn't work unless it's on literal MS Windows).

5. Get access to the hidraw device for your user. e.g. "sudo chown <your user name> /dev/hidraw*" for all devices or google how to do it automatically with udev's config. The hidraw needed, first appears after you pair the Wiimote with Linux.

Caveat: it might detect it easier if the user is given access only to the specific device. That is usually the last numbered one if you just paired it (e.g. the 6th if only 6 /dev/hidraw# exist) or udev can to do it automatically given targeted IDs.

6. Get WiimoteHook from the 1st post, unzip it, enter that dir and run WiimoteHook with

wineconsole WiimoteHook.exe

(wineconsole instead of wine is important in order to get console input and proper printing with nice colors)

Caveats: At this point even if everything is setup correctly, the software may still not detect a wiimote. If it had worked in the past, that can often be corrected starting with a new ~/.wine dir due to apparently latent simulated registry entries. At the same time and in general, wine might behave better if no processes of it from previous runs are still up in the background (there are scripts easily googled to easily kill those).

7. Follow the steps of the 1st page for PadTest. It works with wine fine.

8. If PadTest works Cemu will work. Options->Gamepad Motion Source

9. Also select "Also use for buttons/axes" in that Options menu unless you want to use another source for buttons and you only need this for motion

10. You can (and must in this case, because there's no XInput/DInput) edit the .config file of WiimoteHook in order to configure better button binds than the defaults.

Caveats/Notes/Limitations:

1. Rumble is not supported yet because Rajkosto(of Cemuhook) doesn't support it on the server/client yet. (The XInput emulation of WiimoteHook is strictly windows tech and can't be used directly that way)

2. Wine can have a difficulty to enumerate HID devices on first launch. I suggest to killall its processes and re-run if there are issues. Make sure the user has r/w access to the relevant /dev/hidraw.

3. Note again that "Also use for buttons/axes" should be used in Options->Gamepad Motion Source of Cemu and you can edit those binds in the .config of WiimoteHook.

PS. It goes without saying an alternative method is to run it in a virtual machine, but it has a significantly higher resources usage that way.
    Last edited by epigramx; 11.06.2018 at 07:54.

New user
    Thanks for that! One step closer to having the full Cemu environment working on linux!

Virus Detected?

I'm running windows 10, and it keeps saying that defender is detecting a virus for Wiimotehook.exe

Anybody else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by manitislate View Post
    I'm running windows 10, and it keeps saying that defender is detecting a virus for Wiimotehook.exe

Anybody else having this problem?
    Is this a troll account created today for this accusation? There is no such detection on any of the 67 scanners of virustotal and on current defender on current windows 10.

Now give us more details that proves your claim or tell us who your real account is on other fora.

PS. I take this very seriously considering, many other tools(including Cemu itself) do get false positives when I've been very careful to not even get false positives.

Quote Originally Posted by NoskLo View Post
    Thanks for that! One step closer to having the full Cemu environment working on linux!
    Thanks. PS. I guess even if you had 0 detections on virustotal, you're still not immune to claims.. ^
    Last edited by epigramx; 27.02.2018 at 03:42.

Thank you for your quick response. It does show your dedication to this project. This is not to troll. I am very apreciative of your work and this project. It's really cool.

Windows Defender keeps quarenteenig the file, and won't let me download with Chrome. It probably is a false positive. I can show you a screen shot later if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by manitislate View Post
    Thank you for your quick response. It does show your dedication to this project. This is not to troll. I am very apreciative of your work and this project. It's really cool.

Windows Defender keeps quarenteenig the file, and won't let me download with Chrome. It probably is a false positive. I can show you a screen shot later if you would like.
    OK, though I can't reproduce it since as I said I have updated defender on windows 10 to latest version and it doesn't have that false positive.

It's the latest Windows 10 as well (Fall Creators Update).

I'll make sure everything is up to date and get back to you with more information.

And it NEVER had that false positive. The only time I had a false positive is when I baked the .bat file included to an exe and that is why that .bat file remains a bat file (to install the optional emulated gamepads driver).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40,0 KB 
ID:	292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2b.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68,5 KB 
ID:	293
    Here are a couple of screenshots.

I'm using windows 10.0.16299

All my updates say I'm current.

Can you upload an update with the configuration of the new cemu 1.11.15 with wiimote support?
    Sorry for my bad english