Close

Seeing no difference with MSAA and AF on AMD GPU - doing something wrong?

Hello.

I followed some tips in the reddit to disable native AA in MK8 by means of a graphics pack, and force AA and AF from my GPU's control panel. I have an AMD R9 280 and I set up a profile for Cemu to overwrite the application's settings with 4x MSAA (adaptive) and 16x AF but I'm not seeing any difference in the game when switching back and forth, although I've heard people mention that AF makes a noticeable difference in this particular game. Forcing AA doesn't seem smooth out the jaggies any better than the game's native AA.

Is the difference actually subtle or could it be that I'm missing something? Issues with AMD cards perhaps?
    Thanks in advance.

Super-Moderator
    The only external AA I've seen proven to work with cemu is nvidia's fxaa. I've seen many reports that all other external AA didn't work. Both for Nvidia and AMD. Now Someone is going to come in and say. "OBJECTION!!! X worked for me." Such is life.

Anyway with current graphics packs I don't think these old tactics are necessary. The main reason to do it in the past was that the games internal AA was broken at higher resolutions. This is no longer the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalphenos View Post
    The only external AA I've seen proven to work with cemu is nvidia's fxaa. I've seen many reports that all other external AA didn't work. Both for Nvidia and AMD. Now Someone is going to come in and say. "OBJECTION!!! X worked for me." Such is life.

Anyway with current graphics packs I don't think these old tactics are necessary. The main reason to do it in the past was that the games internal AA was broken at higher resolutions. This is no longer the case.
    Thank you very much for your answer. It will save me a lot of pointless web browsing since I was operating on outdated information. To be honest, I thought the game already looked terrific and the aliasing already greatly reduced by just running the game at 1080p but was "probing the possibilities" after reading a bunch of reddit posts about it. I'll disable the graphics pack that disables native AA, then.

Do I take then, that AF from the AMD control panel doesn't have an effect either? I suppose there is no harm in leaving it on even if I don't immediately see a difference.