Close

Changing/Modifying Audio Cues

Anyone know how to recode/edit/mod what music plays due to a given trigger? Example: when fighting a Lynel there are 3 music tracks that play in succession. I'd like to mod that so that only one plays, and not the other two at all. Any ideas, or is this too code-specific?

If curious why (so that maybe I can fix this issue a different/easier way), I've been modding the in-game music files to make custom music for myself. But as stated above, Lynel is tricky. I had created a .bfstm file of the "The Hunter (Gasgoine)" track from Bloodborne, and was attempting to make that track the default music track playing when I fight a Lynel. However, there are 3 tracks that play back to back: a quick intro file is qued, then one of the FieldBattle tracks, then another FieldBattle track (you can find these in the "\content\Sound\Resource\Stream" directory).

I could replace the intro (which I have tried), but that wouldn't work well as the other 2 still play. I could delete those 2, but they would never que for any other battle that ever triggers them to (these are somewhat generic tracks and not "guardian" or "talus"-specific ones).

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by enjikari View Post
    Anyone know how to recode/edit/mod what music plays due to a given trigger? Example: when fighting a Lynel there are 3 music tracks that play in succession. I'd like to mod that so that only one plays, and not the other two at all. Any ideas, or is this too code-specific?

If curious why (so that maybe I can fix this issue a different/easier way), I've been modding the in-game music files to make custom music for myself. But as stated above, Lynel is tricky. I had created a .bfstm file of the "The Hunter (Gasgoine)" track from Bloodborne, and was attempting to make that track the default music track playing when I fight a Lynel. However, there are 3 tracks that play back to back: a quick intro file is qued, then one of the FieldBattle tracks, then another FieldBattle track (you can find these in the "\content\Sound\Resource\Stream" directory).

I could replace the intro (which I have tried), but that wouldn't work well as the other 2 still play. I could delete those 2, but they would never que for any other battle that ever triggers them to (these are somewhat generic tracks and not "guardian" or "talus"-specific ones).

Any help would be appreciated.
    You need to replace the other parts with silent tracks.

It's possible that even a blank text file that's renamed may work but I personally have made a "blank" 2 second audio file, turned it into a bfstm and then used it whenever I want to silence a track.

That way you can have the intro hold the entire track and the other tracks are never heard. You should keep in mind that some areas/BGM don't abide by these rules for reasons I'm unaware of, but you'll learn as you experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by CEObrainz View Post
    You need to replace the other parts with silent tracks.

It's possible that even a blank text file that's renamed may work but I personally have made a "blank" 2 second audio file, turned it into a bfstm and then used it whenever I want to silence a track.

That way you can have the intro hold the entire track and the other tracks are never heard. You should keep in mind that some areas/BGM don't abide by these rules for reasons I'm unaware of, but you'll learn as you experiment.
    I've considered this, however those other audio tracks are shared by other ques; i.e. other enemy battles use these files. From what I'm seeing, the more I change/remove various 'battle' music files, many enemies don't have just one battle track that plays with their battle, they have 2, 3, or more. Same goes with the Lynel, which I have found. I think the Lynel actually uses FIVE different tracks. They feed, one into another, thematically.

So, here's what will happen if I do what I've started originally:

If I replace the first track (which is a generic intro track), that custom track will play for every other enemy who uses that intro track. And the other 5 or so tracks will still play with the custom track still playing. If I go through the trouble of discovering what the other 4 tracks are and deleting/muting/silencing them, then I have the added problem of varying enemies having a mixed bag of tracks playing and silences during their individual battles, on top of that custom track playjng for any enemy that uses it.

There are some easy wham-bam music changes for this game, such as town tracks. Sadly, battle tracks don't all work this easy. Many enemies share not only various battle music snippets, but share several in one battle.

Also sadly, I know 0% about 'coding' this game, or any game, so me trying to mod the music that plays for a Lynel, or for any enemy engagement, is simply out of my range. Unless some kind person has the time and knowledge to guide me through a better fix, looks like I'll be sticking to the in-game music. Was a damn fun idea while it lasted.

I've considered this, however those other audio tracks are shared by other ques; i.e. other enemy battles use these files. From what I'm seeing, the more I change/remove various 'battle' music files, many enemies don't have just one battle track that plays with their battle, they have 2, 3, or more. Same goes with the Lynel, which I have found. I think the Lynel actually uses FIVE different tracks. They feed, one into another, thematically.

So, here's what will happen if I do what I've started originally:

If I replace the first track (which is a generic intro track), that custom track will play for every other enemy who uses that intro track. And the other 5 or so tracks will still play with the custom track still playing. If I go through the trouble of discovering what the other 4 tracks are and deleting/muting/silencing them, then I have the added problem of varying enemies having a mixed bag of tracks playing and silences during their individual battles, on top of that custom track playjng for any enemy that uses it.

There are some easy wham-bam music changes for this game, such as town tracks. Sadly, battle tracks don't all work this easy. Many enemies share not only various battle music snippets, but share several in one battle.

Also sadly, I know 0% about 'coding' this game, or any game, so me trying to mod the music that plays for a Lynel, or for any enemy engagement, is simply out of my range. Unless some kind person has the time and knowledge to guide me through a better fix, looks like I'll be sticking to the in-game music. Was a damn fun idea while it lasted.
    We're currently looking into it. Sooner or later we'll be able to define the music that plays for areas or enemy types but currently we're facing issues with the filetypes, decoding them and repackaging them.

If you're in the BoTW Modding Discord you'll be able to chat with us and help if you wish.

We're currently looking into it. Sooner or later we'll be able to define the music that plays for areas or enemy types but currently we're facing issues with the filetypes, decoding them and repackaging them.

If you're in the BoTW Modding Discord you'll be able to chat with us and help if you wish.
    Unfortunately I'm not, and wouldn't be able to offer much except for what my minimal experimenting has found with Lynel music. I'll take an invite tho, and can post what I know. perhaps it'll be a little help.

Unfortunately I'm not, and wouldn't be able to offer much except for what my minimal experimenting has found with Lynel music. I'll take an invite tho, and can post what I know. perhaps it'll be a little help.
    https://discord.gg/85BBeWH

Was it possible, in the meantime, to clear that matter what to do if multiple tracks are playing in "1" track at different timings?
    I noticed that too, that in botw's "default" battle-theme, there are several battle theme-pieces cut together, depending on the enemy(s) you fight against; normal, weak enemies mostly start with that slow, jazz-like marimba sounds, turning into the actual fighting music, while in case of encountering a mop of silver+gold enemies that intro is a bit quicker and will eventually turn into a dramatic, intensified main-theme. Also the intro of a lynel-encounter is mostly the same (I guess) as the one e.g. encountering a yiga-member.

So simply swapping one/several of these tracks and muting/changing the other/s will only result in chaos as OP figured out, but how to achieve this? @enjikarin Did you figure out something in the meantime?
    I was able to find a sound tutorial on gamebanana and a video on YT but I'm afraid that doesn't cover this special case, also I was unable to find anything relating in the discord-link provided here.

Any hints into that direction or a clear statement if it wouldn't be possible now is really appreciated!

Thank you.