Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    If you read the ./configure line you'll notice it includes a --with-llvm-prefix=/usr/lib/llvm-7 which points to llvm's installation location. Try to point it to /usr/lib instead in your case.

Read also what Xalphenos said to you in case you haven't (it will probably install latest llvm in /usr/lib).

Yep - I did that part.

I appreciate your patience and help here btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharybinx34 View Post
    Yep - I did that part.

I appreciate your patience and help here btw!
    Closer inspection indicates it needs --with-llvm-prefix=/usr/ (without the lib). PS. There's a chance the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in front is unnecessary in this case and disrupts it (in which case it might work without a --with-llvm-prefix= at all without it).

update: Even closer inspection indicates that even with an LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to /usr/local/lib and no --with-llvm-prefix at all it should work fine on that system since it has an llvm-config in /usr/bin. On debian at least I can imitate that behavior by symlinking /usr/bin/llvm-config-7 to /usr/bin/llvm-config.
    Last edited by epigramx; 03.03.2018 at 08:14.

worked on antergos with a few extra files needed and fedora no gfx issues using llvm 5 as 7 wouldnt install device ran out of memory error

At this point, while I really appreciate what you're going for here, it's just far to advanced for the average (or even above average) user to do. The guide needs to be far more specific for each step - especially being written for a far more uncommon distro like Debian.

Maybe if you worked through some more of the LLVM-7 step it might be more doable, but I'm asking some pretty advanced Linux users who honestly don't know themselves how to get through that step.

Just some feedback!
    But thanks again for the attempted effort!
    Last edited by Zacharybinx34; 04.03.2018 at 03:32.

thanks again for the attempted effort
    As I said, I don't believe linux is for the common user (unless maybe it's Android); they will have to become power users eventually if they're going to survive. That step you are scared of is nothing hard, and I already explained it should work on your distro if you completely omit the llvm prefix line (I wonder if you read that reply fully).

Those "easy to use" distros are harder to use! They only are - and only even if they are done well at that - "easy" to install and they leave it at that. When a more mature distro has better package repositories, that makes it "easy", because it helps to not compile everything manually but even then it's not a panacea.

PS. Besides, debian is extremely easy to install already (and then it can stay stable or testing or upgraded to testing or sid).
    Last edited by epigramx; 04.03.2018 at 05:11.

As I said, I don't believe linux is for the common user (unless maybe it's Android); they will have to become power users eventually if they're going to survive. That step you are scared of is nothing hard, and I already explained it should work on your distro if you completely omit the llvm prefix line (I wonder if you read that reply fully).

Those "easy to use" distros are harder to use! They only are - and only even if they are done well at that - "easy" to install and they leave it at that. When a more mature distro has better package repositories, that makes it "easy", because it helps to not compile everything manually but even then it's not a panacea.

PS. Besides, debian is extremely easy to install already (and then it can stay stable or testing or upgraded to testing or sid).
    I did what you suggested.
    Resulted in hearing sound and seeing some major graphical glitches. Not sure what else I can do.

A lot can go wrong here and it depends on the specific hardware and kernel module used for it. Don't ask me for details on that because not even the mesa mild maintainer knows fully what GPU list is supported.

PS. That is assuming no mistakes were made at installation.

update: I know now he has almost identical GPU to mine so the software I run should run his hardware fine. He either didn't follow each step correctly or that distro has a severe issue with a software package but I doubt it's the latter.

update: For the record, a power user is not anything too extraordinary; no programming knowledge is needed for example. See the wikipedia page about it; it mainly refers to users clearly above the involvement of a common user.
    Last edited by epigramx; 05.03.2018 at 11:28.

A lot can go wrong here and it depends on the specific hardware and kernel module used for it. Don't ask me for details on that because not even the mesa mild maintainer knows fully what GPU list is supported.

PS. That is assuming no mistakes were made at installation.

update: I know now he has almost identical GPU to mine so the software I run should run his hardware fine. He either didn't follow each step correctly or that distro has a severe issue with a software package but I doubt it's the latter.

update: For the record, a power user is not anything too extraordinary; no programming knowledge is needed for example. See the wikipedia page about it; it mainly refers to users clearly above the involvement of a common user.
    I have spent hours talking to VERY Advanced Linux power users who have no idea whatsoever how to get LLVM 7 installed on any distro.

Could you please explain this part?

Super-Moderator
    how to get LLVM 7 installed on any distro.

Could you please explain this part?
    It's been a few weeks but IIRC; After adding the lines to pacman.conf. I'm pretty sure all I did was "sudo pacman -S mesa-git" LLVM-svn was installed as a dependency. My goal at the time was not to install mesa mild though. I was just installing the latest mesa which was I think 18.0.3 at the time. That should work on any arch based distro. And I may have done -Syyu. I don't really remember.

Since I've been the subject of personal attacks in relation to this guide - which were rather hypocritical since the same person copy pasted verbatim from this guide for the use of his videos and reddit comments while concealing that fact - I'd like to clarify something again, even though I did mention it in other words at the end of the guide:

This guide is not meant to teach you the basics of linux. It's meant to mainly show the caveats and quirks in relation to Cemu and mesa mild only. However, I do believe linux is mainly an OS for power users and it's a relatively easy installation for most of them. PS. Notice that a power user is not anything extraordinary.