Close

Thread: CPU Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New user

Idea CPU Question

I have an i5 4690k, should I upgrade to an i7 4790k ? Would cost about 200$ after I resell my current CPU. How much performance improvement can I expect on BOTW ? I heard i7s do way better in emulation ? Thank you

Super-Moderator
    The difference would be negligible. My i5 6600k can get 60 FPS almost everywhere. Many people have noted that the triple core recompiler only gives better frame times not higher avg FPS.

New user
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalphenos View Post
    The difference would be negligible. My i5 6600k can get 60 FPS almost everywhere. Many people have noted that the triple core recompiler only gives better frame times not higher avg FPS.
    The question is anyway if constant 60fps is moot... The problem is that the game is programmed against 30fps and going higher exposes a number of smaller and some gamebreaking bugs.
    The smaller bugs are mainly the arrow curves which go haywire. The bigger bugs are two broken bossfights one against the wind boss where the wind boss simply exits the titan and never comes back (I personally encountered it reproducably until i locked it to 30fps). The other bug is more or less the Ganon fight where supposingly the attack beams are partially not visible anymore.

I personally jumped out of the reach 60fps game in early january when I was able to achieve 40 fps til 60fps in most areas in 4k (with hateno I think being in the 40s range)
    because of the bugs and locked the game into solid 30fps, still better on the console which caps it at 30fps but sometimes in hateno falls down to low 20s.
    Not sure if the bug situation is fixed, but it doubt it, this must be fixed in the gamecode itself.

So if you can reach solid 30fps with your config then you should be fine the game is meant for 30fps and going higher simply is not worth it.

New user
    Just generally speaking, the cemu uses maximum 4 threads. so if you do not have a lot of background noise am i5 should be ok for the time being.
    Going for a higher thread count is currently needed only in some AAA games and for rpcs3 which atm uses 8 cores.
    And Assassins Creed Origins or Final Fantasy XV literally use every thread they can get (even 16 if they can get hold of it)

Cemu is fine atm with 4 cores and i thread per core, unless you have something demanding in the background.

The bigger issue is to get the ipc as high as possible, but only in case you are cpu bound with standard peformances but that can only happen if you have a fast graphics card
    and you aim for 60fps. By using 30fps you should be perfectly fine, in this case it is more important to have a decent non AMD graphics card. While AMD is generally good
    their Windows OpenGL drivers are absymal and they do not do anything about it since OpenGL is legacy. Their Linux drivers are better, so some people having AMD graphics cards
    simply play it under Linux.

I'd avoid using the term i5 generically since there are even i7s that are dual core; I'd say 4c/4t etc. If a game's performance does not require multithreading on the recompiler I'd avoid using it since it draws power/strains the system unnecessarily; in the case of 4core/4thread cpus it might be better to not saturate all 4 cores since the system might be unresponsive which can affect gaming as well.