Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New user

Help with AMD 8320 CPU overclock

Hi,
    I want to play Breath of the wild on my PC, but I get poor fps (around 15). I have an 8 cores AMD 8320 CPU which works at 3.5 stock GHz (it automatically bumps to 3.7 I believe when needed), 8GB RAM at 800MHz (plus 8GB of virtual memory as it was adviced somewhere to have for CEMU) and an R9 280X graphics card.
    I think I understand that CEMU works more on 1 core, so my problem might be solved if I can overclock my CPU by boosting the FSB ratio. I tried, set it so the CPU went to 4.5GHz, but it failed, I tried several times until it worked for a minute before getting a BSOD at 230MHz.
    Now I set it back to normal, but I'd like to understand why people have it working on their end. I've seen discussions and videos about people who tweaked it to 300MHz (x15 as for the multiplier, which gives also 4.5GHz) and it works. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to deal with the temperature, as when I arrive back in the BIOS after the crashes, it wasn't high (even though a few seconds had passed, I don't think it would have gone down by 40°C in 10s).

Thank you if you can help me.
    Btw, the reason I want to play it on my PC is because I finished the game once on my brother's WiiU, which he got back, wanted to buy a Switch to play it more, but saves aren't transferable from WiiU to Switch, so if it means starting over, I'd rather try emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPy6xMhtso

These Videos should help you out

One tip also you should disable the 5th 6th 7th and 8th Core for boosting Single Core Performance

Hi,

I used this one but modfying some settings by my own : http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-am...s-example.html

FSB oc is greater than using only CPU multiplier because all frequencies are boosted (not only CPU one). You need decent RAM modules (or modifying their timings to get higher FSB frequencies)

First be aware that according to AMD, the max temperature of the 8320 is 61 C (https://www.amd.com/en/products/spec...51,136,126,121)

To be stable, your CPU need to to be break-in (sorry, i'm not sure it is the right word) : you'll have to stress it each time you'll found a stable frequency.

To do it in a safe way, i'd recommend you :

-First, install overclocking tools such as at least (or others):
    > HWINFO to monitor your temps, set thresholds and use a batch file to shutdown your system when they are reached (as detailled in the link above)
    > use IntelBurnTest (i tried many of freeware and finally keep this one because it's the one who heat the more your CPU)

- Begin with tweaking only the multiplier (to avoid issues with HTLink, NorthBridge and DDRAM frequencies) : it must give you an idea of what frequency you might reach.
    Increase the multiplier and slightly the Vcore to be stable and always under 60C when stressing your CPU

- When your system is stable for a given frequency

- Try FSB overclock : you might increase its stock value from 10% without issue then adjust the multiplier to set your stable frequency

- To go further :
    > max FSB target frequency depends on your motherboard
    > the higher is the best : all frequency are boosted HTLink, Northbridge and DDRAM

Take care of these frequencies too !

I have successfully air overclocked an AMD FX-4300 @ 4.8 GHz but one core is missing for CEMU's tripleCore mode

I tried to overclock an FX8300 but my gigabyte board is known to have an under-dimensionned Nortbridge cooler and it wasn't possible to get higher that 4.2Ghz... so i sell it to buy a brand new FX-6300 for 50 € wich (for the moment) is breaking-in @4.6GHz

Even with less core, i have to lower my northbridge and HTLink frequencies (down to stock values) to lower the temperature generated (CPU is close to the Northbridge)

I have 1600 DDR3 modules running close to 2000 (FSB@240MHz i beleive, so increased by 20%).
    Manage to do this by modifying their timings.

For the cooler : FX 6300 is 95W TDP and i put an Artic Freezer A32 made for 300W TDP.
    As my CPU temperature does not exceed 57C on heavy load (and max is 71.1C for the FX-6300), i also get a silent rig !
    CEMU use only 4 cores (tripCore+sound) and so when i play it is much lower than that ~40C (with 27C for my motherboard's temperature)
    Always check stability and monitor your temperatures (set a threshold to 61C on CPU package temp in your case).

Also, becarefull of your room's ambiant temperature (mostly in summer).

Having a AMD CPU+GPU is known to struggle with CEMU.
    I switched from a HD7500 to an used GTX950 (40€) last year.

FX-6300@4.6Ghz + GTX950 if you want to see how it work on BOTW : https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/commen...cache_anymore/

(I also oc my GTX950 to 1.5GHz but i don't think it make at noticeable difference)
    Last edited by Laf111; 23.05.2018 at 13:43.

New user
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokion View Post
    Hi,
    I want to play Breath of the wild on my PC, but I get poor fps (around 15). I have an 8 cores AMD 8320 CPU which works at 3.5 stock GHz (it automatically bumps to 3.7 I believe when needed), 8GB RAM at 800MHz (plus 8GB of virtual memory as it was adviced somewhere to have for CEMU) and an R9 280X graphics card.
    I think I understand that CEMU works more on 1 core, so my problem might be solved if I can overclock my CPU by boosting the FSB ratio. I tried, set it so the CPU went to 4.5GHz, but it failed, I tried several times until it worked for a minute before getting a BSOD at 230MHz.
    Now I set it back to normal, but I'd like to understand why people have it working on their end. I've seen discussions and videos about people who tweaked it to 300MHz (x15 as for the multiplier, which gives also 4.5GHz) and it works. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to deal with the temperature, as when I arrive back in the BIOS after the crashes, it wasn't high (even though a few seconds had passed, I don't think it would have gone down by 40°C in 10s).

Thank you if you can help me.
    Btw, the reason I want to play it on my PC is because I finished the game once on my brother's WiiU, which he got back, wanted to buy a Switch to play it more, but saves aren't transferable from WiiU to Switch, so if it means starting over, I'd rather try emulation.
    Sorry for my english.

I have my FX 8320-E at 4.00 ghz with vcore 1.275 undervolt and a GTX 1050ti. Zelda runs with minimum of 25 fps in cities and out at 40 fps. With the AVG about 30-33 fps. CEMU works horrible with AMD gpus. You do not need much overclock.
    You need an Nvidia card.

With SSD , 8gb and FX 4,00 ghz or 4,2 ghz + graphic pack FPS ++ ZELDA work very well.

trying with x2 to have fun and run perfect, normal or faster. My computer...

Last edited by jmrd; 24.05.2018 at 12:42.

You're right.

I also noticed a FPS boost when i switched to Nvidia.
    But i don't know if it is relevant (update from a non GCN AMD GPU to a GTX950)

I think overclock is still recommended, even since multi-core modes (CEMU >= 1.11.3).
    Multi-core mode does not significantly increase the max FPS but give a better FPS average (less drop).
    FPS overclock will give you better perfomance on your DRAM use.

@jmrd : I have the same chips of you on my FX-6300.
    You don't give the resolution but it is mostly related to your GPU performance.
    Running @4.6GHz, give me nearly 7-12 FPS more than what you noticed, despite a less powerfull GPU (@1440p, FPS++, contrasty, clarity, Nvidia FX)
    Last edited by Laf111; 25.05.2018 at 13:17.

New user
    Quote Originally Posted by Laf111 View Post
    You're right.

I also noticed a FPS boost when i switched to Nvidia.
    But i don't know if it is relevant (update from a non GCN AMD GPU to a GTX950)

I think overclock is still recommended, even since multi-core modes (CEMU >= 1.11.3).
    Multi-core mode does not significantly increase the max FPS but give a better FPS average (less drop).
    FPS overclock will give you better perfomance on your DRAM use.

@jmrd : I have the same chips of you on my FX-6300.
    You don't give the resolution but it is mostly related to your GPU performance.
    Running @4.6GHz, give me nearly 7-12 FPS more than what you noticed, despite a less powerfull GPU (@1440p, FPS++, contrasty, clarity, Nvidia FX)

I do not need much overclock, just know how to configure everything very well. I'm going to put a video with parameters in cities it works well only at 4.00 ghz.
    Out more fps 35-40-45.

You will see this night a new video in cities. Outside much better rates.

This night I post a new video with all the settings and only 4,00 ghz in FX.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokion View Post
    Thank you, though having no answers and finding a great deal on a used Switch, I bought it and play the game on it... I couldn't transfer my saves AND couldn't use the expansion pass on it, cause it's for Wii U, in addition... Thanks, Nintendo.
    My GPU usage was at 22%, so I'd rather think it was CPU wise that my problem laid. I'll keep this page in mind if I ever need to over lock it in the future.
    FX with Nvidia card.

Fx 8320-e 4,00 1.27 vcore.
    Gigabyte 970a-ud3p rev 2.0
    12 gb 1600 dual channel kingston hyper.
    Gtx 1050ti 4gb gigabyte
    Ssd crucial 240 gb

pd.

This night I post a new video with all the settings.

Of course with mi Fx 4,2 or 4,4 ghz best fps...but i need for the moment 4,00 ghz.

With 25 fps perfect experience, but i have more fps of AVG with my pc.
    Last edited by jmrd; 25.05.2018 at 18:18.

New user
    Thank you, though having no answers and finding a great deal on a used Switch, I bought it and play the game on it... I couldn't transfer my saves AND couldn't use the expansion pass on it, cause it's for Wii U, in addition... Thanks, Nintendo.
    My GPU usage was at 22%, so I'd rather think it was CPU wise that my problem laid. I'll keep this page in mind if I ever need to over lock it in the future.

New user
    One moment...my PC in this video.

OUT.

Last edited by jmrd; 27.05.2018 at 11:28.

Hi,

As i said +12 FPS @4.6GHz on great plateau (same place as your first screenshot, same graphic packs / resolution and may be more selected than you) :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOTW@4.6Ghz.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1,54 MB 
ID:	379
    Last edited by Laf111; 27.05.2018 at 13:07.

New user
    Quote Originally Posted by Laf111 View Post
    Hi,

As i said +12 FPS @4.6GHz on great plateau (same place as your first screenshot, same graphic packs / resolution and may be more selected than you) :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOTW@4.6Ghz.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1,54 MB 
ID:	379

Yes but this game work perfect with 25 fps constants.

It's funny because I do not feel a curve of fps. 25-30-45-50 fps always runs well, linear, with constant speed. FPS ++ is very well adjusted.

A greeting

pd.

On the wall I also get 52 fps at only 4.00 ghz.

The perception of the graphic pack is false. From the FX, I5, I7 or RYZEN they really go at 30 fps. They hit the screen with 60,80,120 fps and it is false. The game is programmed for 30 fps.
    Last edited by jmrd; 27.05.2018 at 19:45.