Close

Would this rig run CemU well?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yCgrvn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DunFJZm.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	44,9 KB 
ID:	391

In particular, could it run Breath of the Wild at 1080p 60 FPS? If not, what could I upgrade to make it do so?

Thanks in advance!

You might opt for Intel K series (stock frequency @3.7GHz, boost @4.7Ghz and as K series not locked!) and maybe order a at least 4Go module more for RAM)
    Or be sure that you can highly overclock your AMD CPU (> 4Ghz : need a decent CPU cooler with the most important TDP specfication)

Quote Originally Posted by Laf111 View Post
    You might opt for Intel K series (stock frequency @3.7GHz, boost @4.7Ghz and as K series not locked!) and maybe order a at least 4Go module more for RAM)
    Or be sure that you can highly overclock your AMD CPU (> 4Ghz : need a decent CPU cooler with the most important TDP specfication)
    Is Ryzen simply not good enough? I heard that AMD CPUs aren't good for emulators. Even a 1600 wouldn't make the cut? Which intel CPU would be good enough for what I want?
    Last edited by Achelexus; 05.06.2018 at 07:44.

Partially on topic, but there are still several bugs unless BotW is 30 fps. Also no system in existence can be always 60 fps in certain heavy areas.

The ryzens are roughly where Haswell was at least so for 30 they are usually fine.
    Author of WiimoteHook; co-author of Static FPS mods, author of guides to game assembly patching , compiling mesa and high-res screenshots

Is Ryzen simply not good enough? I heard that AMD CPUs aren't good for emulators. Even a 1600 wouldn't make the cut? Which intel CPU would be good enough for what I want?
    well.. without speaking of 60FPS, recommended CPU (see http://compat.cemu.info/wiki/Serfros...etup_Guide#CPU) have its boost frequency over 4GHz.

https://www.amd.com/fr/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1400 : boost@3.4 GHz

Sure it's at least the double price but if i have to update my CPU, i'll go for an Intel K series (not locked) for example I5 8600K (boost frequency @4.3GHz, 95W TDP) with a 300W TDP cooler to overclock it.
    And if i had the money : i7-8700K (boost @4.7 GHz, 6 cores/12 thread 95W TDP)

BTW, the game is smoothly playable @30FPS
    Last edited by Laf111; 05.06.2018 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Partially on topic, but there are still several bugs unless BotW is 30 fps. Also no system in existence can be always 60 fps in certain heavy areas.

The ryzens are roughly where Haswell was at least so for 30 they are usually fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laf111 View Post
    well.. without speaking of 60FPS, recommended CPU (see http://compat.cemu.info/wiki/Serfros...etup_Guide#CPU) have its boost frequency over 4GHz.

https://www.amd.com/fr/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1400 : boost@3.4 GHz

Sure it's at least the double price but if i have to update my CPU, i'll go for an Intel K series (not locked) for example I5 8600K (boost frequency @4.3GHz, 95W TDP) with a 300W TDP cooler to overclock it.
    And if i had the money : i7-8700K (boost @4.7 GHz, 6 cores/12 thread 95W TDP)

BTW, the game is smoothly playable @30FPS
    I suppose I could go for a CPU that could run it at 30 fps without any drops, then. In that case, could the R5 1400(or a 2400G) do it without any issues? I'd rather not OC anything if possible.

CEMU loaded all the necessary data in RAM.
    If your VRAM size, is bigger enough (i supposed that it is the case with the 6Go of a GTX 1060), you could get at least 30 FPS in town (with stock frequency) but i can't be sure of that.

I suppose that for those with a VRAM <= 2Go, RAM is mainly used and so DMA (Direct Memory Access) timings are crucials.
    For me that might explain why CPU over 4GHz is recommended and also why overclocking is the point (and particulary FSB overclocking that increase all frequencies and not only the CPU one).

I cleared BOTW last year with CEMU 1.11.1 (no multi-core mode available) on my previous FX CPU : 4300 air overclocked @4.7GHz
    As it was single core mode, get better FPS than stock I7, I5, FX 8000 ou 6000 series with my poor FX-4300 (with equivalent GPU specs)

I recently bought a cheap FX6300, and it runs @4.6GHz
    Also bios overclocked my GTX 950 @1.5GHz to modify fan profile and mostly the power and voltage tables to avoid throttling.

@1080p + dual-core mode (works better than triple) + dynamic FPS++, clarity and Nvidia fix graphic packs enabled : get 30-35FPS in towns, >80 in shrines and reach 60FPS in some places in openworld.
    So i enable the static 30 FPS++ graphic pack (mostly for arrow fix) and it runs very smoothly.

I found the game is less difficult with the arrow fix (than when using dynamic FPS++ where it's buggy) and i think that the difference running @30FPS vs 60FPS is even not noticeable.
    Last edited by Laf111; 06.06.2018 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Achelexus View Post
    could the R5 1400
    I'm not sure but I bet it would be enough for 30fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Achelexus View Post
    (or a 2400G)
    I didn't mention that before because your OP has an NVIDIA but know that currently AMD drivers for OpenGL for Windows (not the same on linux or other APIs) have a significant overhead for the CPU so roughly the renderer thread of Cemu needs a 30% faster CPU for the same FPS. There is a chance to be still enough but it would be harder.

This might change when Cemu adds a Vulkan backend next year-ish.
    Last edited by epigramx; 06.06.2018 at 14:30.
    Author of WiimoteHook; co-author of Static FPS mods, author of guides to game assembly patching , compiling mesa and high-res screenshots