Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mario Kart 8 Flicker in 4-player multiplayer mode

Single player, no problems.

When playing with 4 players split screen/4 quadrants, the left 2 flicker. Almost looks like the karts/characters switch quickly back and forth.

I've been searching for something similar and found something about an alternating frame being displayed every other frame. The discussion was about displaying 30FPS instead of 60FPS.

FYI, my system is not very high-powered but even the 4 player seems to be playing OK, just that this flickering is happening.

Any thoughts or ideas to address this? For now, I just don't play the 4-player.

Maybe I'll post a video. I have to figure out the best way to capture it.

To make this a little clearer, I see 4 quadrants, one for each player. I'm not sure which player is mapped to each quadrant but if player 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is bottom right and 4 is bottom left as in:

1 2
    4 3

What I see is players 2 and 3 are steady but the images for players 1 and 4 quadrants seem to swap quickly. You can make out the player characters properly and they seem to be moving properly/independently but the image is being swapped.

Should this be in the Game Related Discussion forum? If so, can an admin/mod please move it...

Thanks

I have the exact same issue.
    Playing single player is fine.
    Playing 2 player split screen is fine.

But 4 players, I get quadrant 1 and 4 flickering really fast.

Did you find a solution?

Im using a AMD radeon Pro 560X in a macbook pro.

What graphics card you using?

Super-Moderator
    Not sure if this exactly what you are talking about. 3 and 4 player mk8 refresh only half of the screen every frame. I don’t recall the exact order but I watched it do this using a debugger. It draws the top two carts on one frame. Then the overlay stuff immediately after. Then on the next frame it draws the bottom two carts and then the overlay immediately aftwards. The the 4 quadrants are essentially running at 30 fps with frame skipping.

Like I said I don’t recall the exact order but that’s the way it works. If you aren’t getting 60 FPS constantly then this probably looks pretty bad.
    Last edited by Xalphenos; 04.01.2019 at 21:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalphenos View Post
    Not sure if this exactly what you are talking about. 3 and 4 player mk8 refresh only half of the screen every frame. I don’t recall the exact order but I watched it do this using a debugger. It draws the top two carts on one frame. Then the overlay stuff immediately after. Then on the next frame it draws the bottom two carts and then the overlay immediately aftwards. The the 4 quadrants are essentially running at 30 fps with frame skipping.

Like I said I don’t recall the exact order but that’s the way it works. If you aren’t getting 60 FPS constantly then this probably looks pretty bad.

It's more like the wrong frames are been shown in the wrong quadrants.
    So the frames from the top right corner are getting mixed in with top left corners.

So if you are 1 player, you see your own Kart/Player. But you also see player's 2 frames/Kart mixed in between (so if you look at player 1 quadrant, it looks like you are driving both player 1 and 2
    Same for player 3, it sees some of player 4's frames.

Players 2 and 4 on the right hand side of the screen are not affected.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 09.01.2019 at 00:45.

I have since upgraded my notebook. Fixed up an old G2 for about $200 and using other spare parts I had collecting dust. FYI, i was using an AMD Firepro M5950 graphics card with a slower CPU previously. My current graphics card, an NVidia 965m GTX, and faster CPU is working well in 4 player mode. Things that have changed since I posted about this problem:

- Faster CPU - Went from an i7 840qm in an HP 8540w to a i7 4910mq in an HP ZBook 15 G2
    - Faster GPU - Went from an AMD Firepro M5950 to an NVidia 965m GTX
    - Memory - Actually decreased from 32GB in the 8540w to 16GB in the ZBook G2 without any performance issues
    - More recent version of CEMU - I believe I had version 1.11.x and now have 1.15.1 - Not sure which performs better as I think there was a big rewrite...believe old versions may be better for slower specs
    - Optimized CEMU using graphics packs - I had no graphics packs enabled in the old setup and I believe I have most of the optimizations set up now
    - Optimized GPU driver for faster performance and have a fairly recent driver version

FYI, I run my setup at 1080p and I'm happy with that.

The 8540w had the graphics card as the primary while the G2 has an integrated Intel as well as the add-on NVidia. For the dual GPU, need to make sure that the add-on is configured to run in the specific scenarios such as when CEMU is running.

I'm not sure which of the above are applicable to a Mac setup, but I'd concentrate on getting most recent drivers, setting up graphics packs and updating the CEMU version. Your AMD 560X should be much faster than my 965m, so I don't think it's the speed of your GPU. It also seems that NVidia GPUs seem to run better with CEMU, so there may not be any workarounds for your setup.

The optimizations I used were mainly from a youtube video. Search for "cemu 1.15". There are several complete setup guides geared towards performance.

I don't know if this is related to the problem above but I play MK8 with the 4K Gfx pack and don't see any slowdowns in single player. However, in 4P splitscreen I experience serious slowdowns which completely go away if I turn off vsync. The slowdown happens whether vsync comes from the emulator's settings or turning that off and enabling vsync through Nvidia CP.

At first I just thought I did not have enough horsepower to run the 4P splitscreen at full speed in 4K with vsync. However, I later discovered that the I can run that scenario full speed, with vsync and 4K when Cemu runs in a Window (no screen tear). I assume in that case I'm getting free vsync from WDM in Windows 10 but I don't know that for sure. Having fullscreen optimizations enabled or disabled does not make a difference in this regard.

Could this be related to the original issue in this thread?
    Is there any way to configure Cemu to take advantage of the increased performance I get when running in a Window, while avoiding screen tear?
    Ignore my comments above; unrelated to this issue. I eventually found that it was 4xFXAA through nVidia CP causing my slowdowns. I concluded that switching to windowed mode kicked disabled FXAA, thus giving me the boost in performance that I was seeing (I could be wrong on this part).
    Last edited by TheManuel; 17.05.2019 at 13:21. Reason: typos