Close

How many threads does Cemu use?

Hello, I have a question for anyone here that can help me.
    I was wondering how many CPU threads does cemu use?
    I was thinking about getting a Intel Core i7-7700k to build me a new computer to play cemu on.
    The i7-7700k has 4 cores and 4 threads.
    How many threads does cemu use?
    And my second question is, what if I bought a i7-8700k instead?
    The i7-8700k has 6 cores and 12 threads.
    If I ran cemu on the i7-8700k, how many threads of the 12 threads will be used?
    Should I just get the i7-7700k or the i7-8700k?
    which one will run better?
    thanks you for anyone that can help me decide on what to buy.

There are many threads spawned, some of them from supporting libraries, but the ones that mainly matter are:

• Emulated CPU threads: between 1 and 3 depended on recompiler settings (mostly BotW works at more than 1)
    • Emulated GPU thread; that is always 1.
    • Plus some minor usage for input/audio etc. threads

In total at least 3 full cores are a benefit on every game. On BotW and dual core recompiler (triple doesn't do a significant change), 4 full cores.

PS. 4 Full cores = 4core/4thread and up, not 2core/4thread.
    Author of WiimoteHook; co-author of Static FPS mods, author of guides to game assembly patching , compiling mesa and high-res screenshots

Oh ok thanks epigramx.
    I think ill get the 7700k than, cause the 8700k with all its extra threads dont seem like it will help me or get any better performance.
    So a duel core with 4 threads is no good? Like I mean it will only use 2 threads of the 4 threads in a duel core processor?

1 last question ,Lets say I get the 7700k, and i want to play BOTW, should i enable cemu's dual core recompiler or should i enable triple core recompiler?
    thanks again.

CPU cache size plays a role which explains why 4core/4thread cpus were always slightly slower than 4core/8thread cpus even if not all cores were used.

2core/4thread would use everything but the HT threads aren't anywhere near a real core in ability.

BotW may get a benefit on triple core from cpus with more than 4 full cores but it's never significant.

PS. The game has bugs unless it's 30fps so if one wants to be bug free all those cpus are enough.
    Author of WiimoteHook; co-author of Static FPS mods, author of guides to game assembly patching , compiling mesa and high-res screenshots

Shoot. I been doing more research on the intel i7 7700k, and I just found out its not a 4 core 4 thread cpu, it is actually a 4 core 8 thread cpu...Hmmm

Im now considering just getting me a new Ryzen cpu, like the r7 2700x, 8 core 16 thread.
    I hate intel cause their cpus overheat way too much because of their crappy TIM, and most people have to delid their cpu and risk damaging their expensive cpu, and also voiding their warrenty when they delid their 7700k,8700k, and adding liquid metal. Also the extra cost for buying delidding tools and liquid metal.

Also I saw a video on you tube where he is playing cemu BOTW with a RYZEN 8 core 16 thread cpu, and he was getting bad performance at first, but then he disabled a thread or a core, i forget, and then he was getting amazing performance.

Maybe I should disable SMT," same as Hyper Threading", That way the ryzen 2700x will just be a 8 core/ 8 thread cpu. Do you think this will be best for playing on CEMU? vs having 8 core/16 thread? Since you said in your last post that, HT threads aren't anywhere near a real core in ability. I dont want cemu to accidentaly use any hyperthreads and ignore my physcial real cores.

What CPU's works best for cemu? AMD or Intel?
    Cause I really hate intel.

I already know that CEMU hates AMD GPUs drivers right now, but are their CPU's safe to get?

Quote Originally Posted by cemu pro View Post
    What CPU's works best for cemu? AMD or Intel?
    Cause I really hate intel.
    Where Intel family getting bigger and bigger and you hate Intel? I am quite eager to know the reason for hating Intel.

In my case runs very good with this machine;

Xubuntu 18.04 x64 - Kernel 4.15.0-22 generic (ubuntu mainline) - CPUFreq: Performance

CPU: Core i3 8350K Tri-Core (Coffelake 14nm) 5.0Ghz + CoolerMaster Hyper T4

MEMORY: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz (4x2) Mushkin (dual channel: 37.5 gb/s)

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 OC (GP107 14nm: 640 Shaders / 40 TMUS / 32 ROPS) Windforce 2GB DDR5 7000Mhz 128Bit (110Gb/s)

MAINBOARD: ASUS Z370-P
    For now seems best single - dual and triple thread cpu avalaible (maybe amd improves with 7nm next year)