Close

Not sure if I should go with AMD or Intel for PC build in $700-800 range?

I want to build a new Windows 10 PC and am not sure if I should get an AMD or Intel processor with a budget in the $700-800 range. This budget is just for the tower and doesn't include purchase of a keyboard and mouse. I want to be able to emulate most PS2, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U games well. I also plan on doing some light gaming with graphics on medium settings. I play PC games around 1-2 hours per week but care more about emulating games well. I know something like an i5 8600K will perform very well but it is expensive and I don't want to spend $250 on a CPU unless necessary. Also, with Intel, the socket 1151 motherboard won't be compatible with future Intel processors and there is the recent meltdown exploit issue that has affected Intel processors. I am seriously considering the Ryzen 5 2600x CPU and from what I understand, it runs most games on CEMU fairly well when using a good Nvidia GPU and the right motherboard and fast enough RAM.

Games that I'd like to be able to run smoothly on Dolphin are Smash Bros Melee and Brawl, F-Zero GX, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Metroid Prime 1/2/3. Cemu games that I'd like to be able to run smoothly are Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1/2, Star Fox Zero, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros U, etc. I also want to run PCSX2 well. I have a Switch for playing BOTW so BOTW performance doesn't matter to me.

I like that AMD is cheaper, doesn't have exploit issues with it's desktop processors and is more future proof because AM4 motherboards will be compatible with AMD CPUs through 2020. However, considering my budget and requirements, what do you guys recommend.

You're correct in going for the motherboard, as a primary target. Don't skimp on it. MSI has just released it's newest Tomahawk boards, and those have some serious, future proof specs. Four designs, from full to mATX.

Any GPU from the 650Ti and above, runs CEMU without any glitches on my systems... the 650Ti is backed by an older AM3 955BE.

That Tomahawk board will support your Ryzen with no issues.. leaving you space to upgrade to AMD's second gen CPUs as soon as your budget allows. 1050Ti or 1060 boards are coming into decent price ranges, and Crucial has it's 500GB SSD for just 199.

Not a bad start... and if you're looking to add some storage, you can always add a 4TB for around 100.

Parts not to skimp on:
    Motherboard.
    Memory.
    Power Supply.

So keep those in mind first when going thru your funds.