Close

AMD CPU performance not acceptable

The system ive used up till now has been an intel 4690K with an AMD R9 390X.... this gave me framerates in the 50-60fps in the overworld and easily over 120fps in the dungion... it was so fast i had to cap the framerate because the time scale(jumping)was sped up way too much. I passed this system to my daugher for her school computer when i bought a new threadripper system.... I'm strangly puzzled by the cpu performance... here i have a faster cpu.. my intel 4690 maxed out at 3.8 ghz and gets lower instructions per clock than my threadripper(every benchmark shows this) and my threadripper runs consistantly at 4 ghz, so its clocked higher(on top of having 16 cores... i set CEMU to run the most threads it can so its using 4 cores where my intel used to get great performance on just 1 core, and i can hardly hit 30 fps. The treadripper was still using the 390x till recently when i got a vega 64 from my brother. switching the gfx between the AMD cards made no change in frame rate... from what i can tell, intel cpu + Amd gfx = ok performance, AMD cpu + Nvidia Gfx = ok performance, intel Cpu + Nvidia Gfx is best performance

however AMD cpu that blows away the intel cpu +AMD GFX= 5 to 25 fps and constant shuddering even with all the tweaks installed....

just what in the world is going on here.... do the makers of CEMU just hate AMD? there is no reason for this poor performance!!! Ive boosted cpu mhz by 200mhz and instructions per clock is higher... Gfx is was the same exact card but performance is a fraction of what i was getting before.....
    Last edited by Speedracer; 13.10.2018 at 19:46.

Super-Moderator
    Sorry I just don’t believe you. There is way too much well documented evidence to the contrary. A 4690k at 3.8ghz with an r9 390x on single core recompiler never got you 50 to 60 FPS.

Drops to 5 FPS on any decent system is shader stutters.

AMD GPUs can not use any cemu version after 1.12.0 until 1.14 comes out. The shader system is broken and caches are unusable. Making everything cause shader stutter.

AMD GPUs have a hard time pushing past 30 FPS in botw because Their OpenGL drivers are quite poor. You can switch to Linux where the open source drivers are quite a bit better and you will have no problems pushing past 30 and the previous mentioned problem goes away. That in itself clearly shows that it isn’t cemu at fault but amd’s proprietary drivers.

Cemu devs do not hate amd. Of all the games cemu can actually run there are only two that don’t run well on amd. That is botw and xcx. All other games will run at their intended framerate.

New user
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8...2018-11-03.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...2018-11-03.png

Enough said and that is on 4k.. If I drop down the resolution to 1080p I am permanently on 60fps. The scene is Hateno where the original Wii-U runs in 20fps on 720p btw.
    And that is pretty much the only scene where I even drop below 60fps.
    Cemu 1.14c is awesome.

Ryzen 2700x Nvidia 2080 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalphenos View Post
    Sorry I just don’t believe you. There is way too much well documented evidence to the contrary. A 4690k at 3.8ghz with an r9 390x on single core recompiler never got you 50 to 60 FPS.

Drops to 5 FPS on any decent system is shader stutters.

AMD GPUs can not use any cemu version after 1.12.0 until 1.14 comes out. The shader system is broken and caches are unusable. Making everything cause shader stutter.

AMD GPUs have a hard time pushing past 30 FPS in botw because Their OpenGL drivers are quite poor. You can switch to Linux where the open source drivers are quite a bit better and you will have no problems pushing past 30 and the previous mentioned problem goes away. That in itself clearly shows that it isn’t cemu at fault but amd’s proprietary drivers.

Cemu devs do not hate amd. Of all the games cemu can actually run there are only two that don’t run well on amd. That is botw and xcx. All other games will run at their intended framerate.
    well seeing as you didnt "believe me"... i pulled my daughters school computer down by mine for the purpose of showing the performance side by side....

https://youtu.be/UAc1wHIv-OI

So here it is side by side. the Intel 4690k at 3.8 Ghz is getting 38-47 fps in Hateno villiage while the amd 1900x which is stock 3.8 but overclocked to 4 ghz is getting half the framerate with stats that far exceed the intel system/amd card setup(ddr 4 ram vs intel ddr3 memory,, the amd system has 16 gb video ram on the vega card vs 8 gb on the r9 390). Both systems are updated to the latest CEMU verson with all the settings the same. both are also running 3 threads.
    As i stated before, my GFX card isnt the issue, as ive run the r9390x in the amd system before i installed the vega 64.... with the same results.... not only is the framerate so much worse, but freezes happen all the time and last upwards of 60 seconds sometimes(to the point i almost reboot thinking it crashed).

So we can conclusively say that not only does Nvidia perform much better than ati GFX, but amd cpu's with higher IPC and Higher GHZ perform much slower..... so yes, there is something wrong with CEMU.

log.txt; we can't start guessing your settings.
    Author of WiimoteHook; co-author of Static FPS mods, author of guides to game assembly patching , compiling mesa and high-res screenshots

New user
    Ouch I posted my analysis already in the other thread-
    I just noticed after 5 seconds of looking at the video another few issues

a) You are running windows 7 here on a a 16 core processor... big ouch...
    b) You are running windows 7 here on an unsupported processor and platform bigger ouch

The Windows 7 scheduler is outdated and does not scale well to high core processors, besides on top of running on an AMD card running a new processor on Windows seven is an absolute no go.
    See the rest of my comments in the other thread where I gave a lot of optimization hints, but I personally think you sacrifice about 30-40% of your possible performance the way you run your quick test here.

Donít need your optimization ďopinionsĒ.... as they are pretty much useless. Especially if you actually believe Iím loosing 30-40% of my performance on an OS that outperforms Windows 10 by 4-5% in most games(unless they actually run dx12) and applications.

And just so you know, Iím actually running Windows 10 on the threadripper, itís just running a windows 7 start bar as windows 10ís start menu is just plain stupid. If you look close you can see this.

I have run Windows 7 on the threadripper system in the past and I can assure you, the claims it doesnít multitask well are overstated. I did however get annoyed at Microsoft installing ďupdatesĒ that locked the update system(this is how they got people off windows 7)

Super-Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer View Post
    well seeing as you didnt "believe me"... i pulled my daughters school computer down by mine for the purpose of showing the performance side by side....

So here it is side by side. the Intel 4690k at 3.8 Ghz is getting 38-47
    And I still don't believe you. Showing a video of you getting 37 fps in the easiest to render spot in hateno is hardly proof that you were getting "50 - 60" fps.

Here is that scene on linux. Further proof that this is an amd gpu driver issue.
    https://i.imgur.com/uH3JNEn.png
    That's a stock clocked 1700x with an r9 fury.