Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New user

Upgrade suggestion - Kaby or Coffe Lake

Hello,

I am planning an upgrade. I am thinking of an unlocked i5 CPU.
    What do you suggest?
    Should I buy a i5-7600K now? Or wait for Coffee Lake i5-8600K to hit to hit the market? Any chance that prices for Kaby Lake will drop?

On a similar page, a similar question regarding the GPU. I am going for Nvidia. Should I buy last year's Pascal, or wait the upcoming Volta?

The 8600K will be a significant evolution to what Intel does. 6 full cores will be practically much faster than the current 4c/8t of the i7s. If you won't go for the 6c/12t I'd say at least wait for Coffee Lake if you can.

PS. It won't be a significant difference for Cemu specifically, but who runs only Cemu?

New user
    What HW are you on right now?
    Coffee Lake will require a shiny new Z370 Mobo, and as far as I know there will be no (cheap) B350. So this has also come into account.

Also considered to buy your stuff used?
    I'm on a second hand OCed 7350K for 90€ and get a hell of performance in Cemu.

New user
    I have a crappy AMD FX-6300, overclocked as much as air cooling can afford. So, yeah. The plan is a new CPU-Mobo-RAM combo. I'll be thinking of the Coffee Lake i3 option as well.

New user
    In your shoes I probably would want to get the Coffee Lake. At least wait until first reviews and decide then.
    Ryzen R5 1600 is not an option I suppose because of the lower IPC performance?

The IPC isn't bad, it's mainly that the clocks are low too, that alone is 20% lower performance.

Super-Moderator
    Yeah ryzen IPC isn't bad. It should be pretty comparable to a haswell clock for clock. If you can get the premium ram it needs and oc it to 4ghz it's certainly not a bad processor.

Still if you are eyeing ryzen I would probably wait for a second revision. AMD tends to have better second revisions. Phenom vs phenom II, bulldozer vs piledriver.

New user
    I have nothing against AMD. At the time, the FX was the perfect choice. And yes, Ryzen is very tempting indeed. But, usually, I'm alternating platforms. And now it's Intel time, and I think is good to skip the first generation of the AMD architecture anyway.
    Thank for the tips. I'll be hunting offers this autumn.

New user
    I have to break a leg for AMD here.

I have upgraded to a Ryzen 1700 2 weeks ago and I now play BOTW in 4k with a very similar performance
    as my son plays it on the Wii-I in full hd (pretty much more or less the same framerates once I installed all
    needed performance hacks and capped the performance to 30fps because i got 60-120fps in the shrines sometimes
    with the game being way to fast)

However with AMD you really have to be ram sensitive and clockspeed sensitive since CEMU uses 2 threads max atm.

So my setup basically is a Ryzen 1700 oced to 3.7 GHz with 16 Gigs DDR 3200 ram. To help out with that an NVidia 1070 does the graphics part.
    The problem was, the orginal Ryzen 1700 hat 3GHz and that was exactly the 20% missing to get a good fluid experience. The overworld mostly was 24fps while the towns hit close to 20-22fps.
    Better than my old Core i5 3570 setup but still not close enough to the console performance.

Now by ocing the performance basically went linearily up post 3.2Ghz with the overworld giving me a solid 29-30fps and the towns also to some degree and where not normally the WII-U also fails to deliver
    a solid 30fps. And yes 4k also might play a role, I have to test in full hd how much it affects the performance. It is probably also the graphics card which is at its limits in 4k, since none of the processor
    cores even remotely hit 100% so full hd with standard clockspeeds might be fine - not tested yet.

So if you go the AMD route either go with a fewer core Ryzen like the 1600 which has 3.6GHz per default or go with OCing like I did or go for the higher ones like the Ryzen 1800 which are performancewise
    in the same ballpark as my oced Ryzen 1700.
    Also Ram is important, on Ryzen a fast ram can give you an additional 10% performance - not sure how this affects the cemu performance.

Probably if you just want to do emu stuff, the Ryzen 1600 is probably the sweet spot. It is cheap with a higher single core performance (3.2-3.6 for a single core turbo) than the 1700 but less cores, but still enough to be future proof.
    The problem with going with a pure 1700 is, that you might be lucky and get a good oc performance (like I did) then you are in a similar league as the Ryzen 1800(X) or the core i7 7700 but if not then you simply lost the silicone lottery and you have to live with lower frequencies (probably still higher than what AMD sells them)

If they have a choice they should probably avoid Ryzen to begin with and go with any latest Intel that can be overclocked since it will usually be about 1GHz higher with a slightly better IPC on top. By the way, Cemu uses at least 2 logical cores to the fullest, it also does some other asynchronous operations and drivers may also do moderate usage for it so one should aim for at least 3 full cores being available (and again, Cache size also matters though in the case of those Ryzens it's usually the same for an odd reason).