Close

New user

Upgrade suggestion - Kaby or Coffe Lake

Hello,

I am planning an upgrade. I am thinking of an unlocked i5 CPU.
    What do you suggest?
    Should I buy a i5-7600K now? Or wait for Coffee Lake i5-8600K to hit to hit the market? Any chance that prices for Kaby Lake will drop?

On a similar page, a similar question regarding the GPU. I am going for Nvidia. Should I buy last year's Pascal, or wait the upcoming Volta?

The 8600K will be a significant evolution to what Intel does. 6 full cores will be practically much faster than the current 4c/8t of the i7s. If you won't go for the 6c/12t I'd say at least wait for Coffee Lake if you can.

PS. It won't be a significant difference for Cemu specifically, but who runs only Cemu?

New user
    What HW are you on right now?
    Coffee Lake will require a shiny new Z370 Mobo, and as far as I know there will be no (cheap) B350. So this has also come into account.

Also considered to buy your stuff used?
    I'm on a second hand OCed 7350K for 90€ and get a hell of performance in Cemu.

New user
    I have a crappy AMD FX-6300, overclocked as much as air cooling can afford. So, yeah. The plan is a new CPU-Mobo-RAM combo. I'll be thinking of the Coffee Lake i3 option as well.

New user
    In your shoes I probably would want to get the Coffee Lake. At least wait until first reviews and decide then.
    Ryzen R5 1600 is not an option I suppose because of the lower IPC performance?

The IPC isn't bad, it's mainly that the clocks are low too, that alone is 20% lower performance.

Super-Moderator
    Yeah ryzen IPC isn't bad. It should be pretty comparable to a haswell clock for clock. If you can get the premium ram it needs and oc it to 4ghz it's certainly not a bad processor.

Still if you are eyeing ryzen I would probably wait for a second revision. AMD tends to have better second revisions. Phenom vs phenom II, bulldozer vs piledriver.

New user
    I have nothing against AMD. At the time, the FX was the perfect choice. And yes, Ryzen is very tempting indeed. But, usually, I'm alternating platforms. And now it's Intel time, and I think is good to skip the first generation of the AMD architecture anyway.
    Thank for the tips. I'll be hunting offers this autumn.