Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New user
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    If they have a choice they should probably avoid Ryzen to begin with and go with any latest Intel that can be overclocked since it will usually be about 1GHz higher with a slightly better IPC on top. By the way, Cemu uses at least 2 logical cores to the fullest, it also does some other asynchronous operations and drivers may also do moderate usage for it so one should aim for at least 3 full cores being available (and again, Cache size also matters though in the case of those Ryzens it's usually the same for an odd reason).
    I would not necessarily say that you should avoid Ryzen alltogether. It really depends, if you only do gaming with the machine and price does not matter then definitely go for Coffee Lake.
    If you have a mixed workload with video encoding etc... then Ryzen is more than a fine choice. The speed difference between Ryzen and Coffee Lake in the single core performance
    is mostly visible if you game beyound 120fps in 1080p if you need 120 fps+ then also go with Coffee Lake.

But Ryzen definitely is a fine choice. If I had to choose between Kaby Lake and Ryzen or if prices matters I probably would go with Ryzen. The new AMD processor line is definitely not that bad not even in single core performance as early tests made it be. The reason back then was that Ryzen is very memory sensitive and slow memory back then was used. The single core performance can be upped 10-20% simply by using fast ram.
    Additionally to that the Windows 10 scheduler had problems which have been resolved now, which switched the cores into a deep sleep mode constantly.
    Add to that that there are hidden costs with Intel, if you switch processors you always have to buy a new board and you either have to drag your old fan with you or you have to buy a new one because the
    boxed fan is something straight for the landfill. The current Ryzen Line will fit into todays boards until 2020.

I personally think that for most people the Ryzen line would be a fine upgrade and I would not necessarily say that the processor line is that bad for emulation software.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	performance.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1,01 MB 
ID:	175

Just to give an indication what a Ryzen in the 3.7 ghz range can do even with only a handful of cores used.
    (Note I have a 30fps cap enabled because the shrines otherwise would be unplayable)
    Last edited by werpu; 13.11.2017 at 18:42.

New user
    I just waited long enough already. I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 at a very decent price. Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

New user
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    I just waited long enough already. I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 at a very decent price. Thanks, everyone, for the advice!
    Have fun with your Ryzen. You might get a very good performance out of the standard settings, if not ocing it to 3.7GHz definitely gives a console like
    performance on botw with afew hacks installed.
    But I think the Ryzen 1600 should do it without ocing, since it has a boost performance pof 3.6 GHz and Cemu does not use to many cores.

The ocing should be doable with a stock cooler.